We just got back from a lovely vacation in California, we had an amazing time.
We first did two nights in San Francisco. We stayed in the Hotel Vertigo, famous for it’s role in the Alfred Hitchcock film Vertigo. We rode the trolley and toured the trolley museum where they power all of the cables throughout the city (powered by GE). We walked all around town (roughly 5 miles each day), including over the Golden Gate Bridge. Other than it being a bit cold and damp it was a very fun time.
Our next stop was the Napa Valley. We returned to the Napa River Mill Inn, this time for a two night stay. The first night we took the Wine Train again, the dinner train is definitely recommended since you get the sunset on the way back. The second day we did a 6 hour limo tour of various vineyards.
Here’s a list of our favorite wines from the trip (bottles were purchased):
- Chase Cellars Sauvignon Blanc (2012)
- Chase Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon (2009)
- Prager Sweet Claire Riesling (2012)
- O’Brien Estate Seduction Bordeaux (2009)
- O’Brien Estate Passion of the Soul Cabernet Sauvignon (2010)
- Charles Krug Zinfandel Port
- Charles Krug Carneros Pinot Noir (2011)
- Mumm Cuvée M Champagne (2008)
- Mumm Blanc De Blancs Champagne (2008)
Next we went off to Lake Tahoe for the next 4 days. We stayed in a friends lovely little cabin on the south side of the lake. Interestingly, we later found out that the cabin was the Mondave family’s first cabin in Lake Tahoe many years ago. This was the first time my wife and I had been to Tahoe. While the water might be a little too cold for our taste, the scenery was amazing. We also did some fairly challenging hiking up to Horsetail Falls, but got some great photos out of it too.